The Uncrowned King Tournament is held whenever Monarchs feel a need for new talent. This page charts the matches and winners. Also, see Uncrowned King Tournament for the history, backstory, rules, prizes, etc.
“This year’s tournament,” Akura Charity continued, “will be the largest in history...Old powers stir.” Underlord, ch 3)
After Makiel First Judge of the Abidan twisted the fate of Cradle in Skysworn, and with other Dreadgods starting to show signs of waking, the current generation of Monarchs called for the commencement of 18th Uncrowned King tournament. (See also Uncrowned King Tournament for more info)
Reigan Shen and Seshethkunaaz have proposed to use the security measures on the western labyrinth to weaken the Dreadgods enough for them to be killed, and are trying to use the tournament to convince the other Monarchs.
Northstrider, the Monarch of the Hungry Deep, appointed himself as the sole judge of the tournament, replacing a panel of independent experts from all around the world. His direct involvement will ensure the safety of the young participants, so that they cannot die unless he wishes them to, and will be able to display their skills in full.
There are eight factions, and each one has four teams. At the start of the games, each contestant must be an Underlord, no older than 35 years.
The total number of participants is 96.
|Akura Clan||House Arelius||Ninecloud Court||Northstrider||Reigan Shen||Seshethkunaaz||Eight-Man Empire||Emriss Silentborn|
|Prime team||Core family||Royal Sha Family
||Gold dragons||Ghost-Blade||Dreadnought City|
|Frozen Blade School
|Blackflame Empire||Silent Servants
- Sha Miara, the Ninecloud Monarch, restricted herself to have the power of an Underlady so she could compete with her lessers.
- The secondary Akura team was forced to participate because Xorrus the dragon Herald wiped out the Temple of Rising Earth.
- Even though Monarch Tiberian Arelius was killed eight years ago, House Arelius was invited to participate in the tournament, since they are one of the oldest factions on Cradle.
- Naian Blackflame was first introduced as the 'Black Dragon Prisoner', he had been driven to madness by his power, and the Gold dragons were using him as a weapon. (See also Ashwind History for details on Naian and his imperial family)
- A few teams were introduced without mentioning which Monarch factions they were part of:
- The Five Sisters of the Iceflower continent.
- The Ironheart Legion of Rosegold.
The Ninecloud Soul was already talking about the next fight, the Five Sisters of the Iceflower Continent against the Ironheart Legion of Rosegold. Lindon could see the last Blackflame Prince's body sprawled on the ground, his throat torn out, staring across with blank eyes. The door closed over Sophara's bloody claws. (Uncrowned, ch 15)
Rounds + Results
The first three rounds take place in book 7, Uncrowned. There were some notable matches in that book:
- Yerin Arelius dueling blindfolded against Altavian Arelius of House Arelius
- Wei Shi Lindon and Akura Mercy dueling the prisoner, Naian Blackflame
Fourth Round (Top 16)
Since there were exactly 16 participants remaining, Northstrider decided that the fourth round will be in the format of single-elimination matches, with the opponents selected by Northstrider himself. However, he changed things up to surprise the contestants with the unexpected. Plus, the Abidan intervened. Final matches with the winner and chapter listed below:
- Wei Shi Lindon Arelius vs Yerin Arelius — Victor: Yerin (chapter 19, Uncrowned)
- Eithan Arelius va Sha Miara — Victor: Eithan (ch 3, Wintersteel)
- Ziel vs Therian Nills — Victor: Ziel (ch 4, Wintersteel)
- Akura Mercy vs Ulrok Crag-Strider — Victor: Mercy (ch 4, Wintersteel)
- Yan Shoumei/Crusher vs Blacksword — Victor: Yan Shoumei (ch 5, W)
- Kenvata Nasuma Juvari vs Sopharanatoth — Victor: Sopharanatoth (ch 5, W)
- Eithan Arelius vs Yan Shoumei — Victor: Yan Shoumei (ch 14, W)
- Ziel vs Brother Aekin — Victor: Brother Aekin (ch 14, W)
- Akura Mercy vs Sopharanatoth — Victor: Sopharanatoth (ch 15, W)
- Yerin Arelius vs Calan Archer — Victor: Yerin (ch 16, W)
- Yan Shoumei/ Crusher vs Yerin Arelius/ Ruby - Victor: Yerin / Ruby (ch 20-21, W)
- Brother Aekin vs Sopharanatoth — Victor: Sopharanatoth (off page, noted as a blowout)
Match 1 Note: The last duel in Book 7 Uncrowned pits Lindon against Yerin, instead of Sophara as they’d been told, after Northstrider surprised them by switching opponents. Yerin wins after achieving a momentary reflection of the Sword Icon in their final clash of techniques.
Match 7 Note: Eithan threw his match against Yan Shoumei for terms negotiated with Reigan Shen
Yerin (pseudo-Herald) vs Sopharanatoth — The Tournament Victor: Yerin (ch 24-25 W)
The Ninecloud Soul’s voice leaked in from outside. “. . .witnessing history here today! Sacred artists one and all, bear witness to the eighteenth Uncrowned King!” (Wintersteel chapter 25)
On Cradle, the intervention took place immediately after the match between Lindon and Yerin. (See Uncrowned ch 19)
All of the tournament participants and Monarch factions were teleported to the arena, and the spectators were teleported out. Kiuran of the Hounds appeared before them all, encouraging the young participants not to follow their current Monarch’s example, and instead to choose to ascend when their time comes.
He also introduced a new grand prize for the winner: Penance, a legendary weapon of pure destruction, soulforged by Ozmanthus Arelius, aka Ozriel. The arrow will instantly end any one person it is instructed to kill, including a Monarch, a Dreadgod. . .
- Skysworn, Chapter 2
- Skysworn, Chapter 14
- Uncrowned, Chapter 14
- Uncrowned, Chapter 7
- Uncrowned, Chapter 10