The Royal Sha Family preside over the Ninecloud continent from Ninecloud Court, in Ninecloud City. They hosted the 18th Uncrowned King Tournament from Ninecloud City.
- Ninecloud continent. Ninecloud country. Ninecloud City. Ninecloud Court. The Royal Sha sigil is a nine-colored cloud, making a rainbow 🌈 effect.
"Ninecloud City," Eithan said, "one of the largest cities in the world. Capital of the Ninecloud country, home to the Ninecloud Court. In the distant past, they were named by the same culture that named the Blackflame Empire. Among their virtues was a certain philosophy: why use many names when you can recycle the same one?" (Uncrowned ch 9)
Sha Family Members
- Sha Miara, luminous queen, a child-Monarch
- Her mother, luminous queen Sha Leiala, died just before Lindon met Suriel
- Her Herald is Sha Relliar. He is a big man. He also serves the teenage queen as advisor, counselor.
- Sha Dellian (Underlord Rank) — tournament
- Sha Siris (Underlord Rank) — tournament
- The Ninecloud Soul — a presence, an artificially created mind-spirit, the voice of god announcer at the tournament.
Eithan tapped his fingers together as the Ninecloud Soul produced another floating model of his flying fortress. “Is this more of what you had in mind, number sixty-four?” The feminine voice from the cloud of rainbow madra was beginning to sound impatient. He couldn’t blame the spirit. This was his eighty-first revision, and even artificially created spiritual networks could get testy. (Uncrowned, ch 12)
Luminous Queen Sha Miara
Sha Miara, Luminous Queen of the Ninecloud Court
Sha Miara is the child-Monarch of the Ninecloud Court. She has ruled over Ninecloud continent from the age of twelve, aided by advisors. Suriel takes Lindon to secretly watch her coronation ceremony in book 1. Sha Miara is young, only age 15 in book 7 (Uncrowned). A teenager. Petulant at times.
Sha Miara at the Tournament
The Ninecloud Court hosted the 18th Uncrowned King Tournament. Sha Miara competed, even though she has advanced far beyond Underlord.
Sha Miara, Luminous Queen of the Ninecloud Court, throws a tantrum. She wants to fight in the tournament. Her tutors have reached the end of their patience; there is no sport in sending a Monarch to do battle with Underlords. She’ll keep her power veiled, she insists. She will compete fairly, and no one will recognize her. When they continue to deny her, her wails conjure a storm indoors. (Underlord epilogue)
“Sha Miara publicly claimed to be an Underlady from a distant branch of the royal family, but Charity doubted that.” (Uncrowned). She rapidly lost to Eithan Arelius and threw a little tantrum (Wintersteel, ch 3)
Sha Miara is on the Path of Celestial Radiance, like all the Monarchs of her lineage.
Her family’s ancient Bloodline Legacy titled “Royal Sha Madra” allows her to take control of the madra of others. Example: she can stop Eithan’s detection-madra “sight” from working.
Her Iron body
Moonheart Iron body:
The Moonheart Iron body. Developed in a country neighboring Ninecloud, it had been co-opted by the royal family to make up for some of their weaknesses. Not only did it toughen the body and allow for impressive physical feats, its main feature was that trauma to the body did not affect mental or spiritual control whatsoever. It was more than just resisting pain; a high-grade Moonheart Iron body separated the consciousness from the flesh. She could fight as though controlling herself at a distance. Eithan knew that, so he gave her no space. (Wintersteel ch 3)
- Absolute Decree technique — Drop a net of rainbow-colored light over an opponent. The light-madra sinks into the opponent’s spirit and takes control of his/her madra.
- Nine-Light Mirror — The Nine-Light Mirror caught techniques opponents used and reflected them back at the opponent, even stronger.
- Heaven’s Wish technique — Sha Miara has inherited power, skill, memories, and knowledge directly and explicitly from her mother, using the family’s Heaven’s Wish technique. She now knows most — but not all — that her mother knew.
Sha Miara had inherited her powers from a Monarch. Though they were sealed down to the Underlord level, she would be in every way an ideal Underlady. Her physical and spiritual abilities would have reached the limit of what her body and soul were capable of handling. Her madra capacity might be no less than his, her control would almost certainly be better, her regeneration faster, and she had inherited some measure of her mother’s long experience. She was almost an impossible opponent to defeat one-on-one. She knew he was an Arelius. Still wearing that expression of icy royal detachment, she took over the surrounding space with her rainbow madra. Eithan’s bloodline powers went dark as the lines of madra he typically spread all around him left his control. (Wintersteel chapter 3)
The former Monarch, Sha Leiala, is dead. She had ruled for two hundred years. She died when Miara was only twelve, sometime just before or during book 1, Unsouled, but it was off-screen. Her life-line was shortened after battling a powerful group of plague-spirits, so she passed on her power and skill to her daughter, using the family’s secretly guarded Heaven’s Wish technique (see royal madra section below)
- The royal family is keeping her death a secret, because the family is vulnerable with a child-queen.
The illusion of Sha Leiala still makes regular appearances all over the nation. As far as the citizens know, their queen is healthy and strong. By royal decree, Sha Miara’s name and her true identity as the Luminous Queen are known only to the Sha family, their direct servants, and the other Monarchs. She remains isolated in her palace, surrounded by the same faces every day. But she is still only fifteen years old, and isolation is boring. (Uncrowned, ch 9)
- Leiala would never have supported Reigan Shen in her lifetime. According to Akura Malice, she detested him.
- But her daughter Sha Miara does support the lion. She may not have inherited her mother’s memories and feelings about him.
Sha Royal Madra
Sha Miara has the powerful Royal Sha Bloodline Abilities, a type of madra.
Royal madra, the rainbow-colored signature of the Ninecloud Court, is in fact a spiritual mutation of pure madra that occurred long ago in the Sha bloodline. From childhood, they can control the spirits of others, and over the centuries they have refined this power into a set of techniques and polished these techniques to perfection. Using their innately powerful madra, they solidified control over their nation and their continent, naming both after their sigil: a nine-colored cloud.
One of their most closely guarded techniques is known as Heaven’s Wish. Once only, a practitioner can pass on their spirit to another. Far more thorough than the adoption of a Remnant, this technique allows for the near-total transfer of power and skill to an heir, though some knowledge is still lost. (Uncrowned, ch 9)